Wednesday, March 21, 2007

party like it's 1999...er...make that 2007!

"i'm fifty, and i can kick..." if you recognize that quote as being said by molly shannon in a sketch on saturday night live, than you probably are not, in fact, fifty. (if you didn't recognize it, then please just excuse my random knowledge of useless pop-culture trivia.) as my father would now say, "what does all this have to do with the price of tea in China." to which i will answer...patience, i'm getting there.

so, my office loves to party. no matter what the occasion, or lack there of, they will find a way to celebrate. i know what you're thinking..."cake, free food, how very southern baptist of you." and i won't argue. plus, it gives you a free out from work for at least 30 minutes. today, during the 50th birthday celebration of a co-worker, i had some observations that i would love to share.

epiphany #1: i am currently in a place in my life where i find myself celebrating more 50th birthdays than any other number. i only find this odd because people around me used to be turning 21, 25, even 30, not 50. i know that this is only the case because i work in a place where i'm the second youngest person and the third is older than me by at least ten years. it's not necessarily a bad thing, just an observation.

epiphany #2: while people were teasing the "birthday boy" about being over the hill, going blind, etc...i found myself thinking...50's not old, wait, when did I get to the place in life where i'm thinking that 50 isn't that old. again, it's all about perspective...in that room, 50 wasn't old, it's the median age.

epiphany #3: birthday cards making fun of age are really not that funny. for example: "remember when...cell phones were the things you used to make your one phone call from jail...surfing was done on a board in the ocean...and airbags were people who talked too much."

and on that note...if you've followed me this far, then you might now be wishing that i hadn't shared my observations. what can i say...i love to share my random thoughts.

1 comment:

robyn said...

whose birthday was it? i miss those celebrations... we don't have them here much... :)